Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:16 +0100, Christian Persch wrote:
> > I would like to propose libappindicator as an external dependency.
> > libappindicator is a simple library that provides a way for an
> > application to put a menu inside an application specific area, most
> > typically on a panel.  It also provides a fallback to generic KDE
> > Status Notifier Item and Notification Area protocols.
> >
> > Webpage:  http://launchpad.net/indicator-application
> > Design:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationIndicators
> > Tarballs: https://launchpad.net/indicator-application/+download
> > License:  LGPL v2/3
> > Bindings: Python and Mono
>
> According to http://www.canonical.com/contributors this work is covered
> under canonical's horrible and inacceptable contributor
> agreement. IMNSHO Gnome should not depend  on any work that treats
> external contributors in such a way.

Like Clutter for example ;)  Seriously though, GNOME already is
dependent on projects that require contributor agreements.  That hasn't
been a requirement in the past, and I don't believe that it should be in
the future.  I'm very interested to see how the foundation board is
proposing to deal with this.  I imagine, that Canonical will work
closely with the Board to ensure that our contributor agreement matches
their guidelines.

> Also, why is this LGPL 2&3-only instead of the usual LGPL 2.1-or-later?

Not to rehash what Cody said, but I'd hardly consider LGPL 2.1+ "usual."
Most of the lawyers I've talked to about it wouldn't do a "+" either.
At least until the FSF makes me a member of it's board of directors and
I get a vote on what "+" really means ;)

		--Ted