Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 11:18 +1100, Danielle Madeley wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:54 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
>
> > > It would be much cleaner to
> > > either expose the underlying dbus api or proxy something that is
> > > explicitly designed with this in mind: GtkActions.
> >
> > That's a great idea.  What do you think would be a good API/name for a
> > function that did that?  Do you think it should take an array of actions
> > or some sort of root action?  Do you think that the function that takes
> > a GtkMenu * should be deprecated?
>
> It seems to me that it should probably take a GtkUIManager path.
>
> It can then serialise the menu description and association GtkActions
> over the bus to be recreated on the other side.
>
> Applications creating their menus directly and not using GtkUIManager
> should probably be ported anyway.

There's a number of things you cannot do with GtkUIManager and
GtkActions though, which is have access to the presentation of the
menus.

In gnome-bluetooth, I'd like to have bold menu items to represent
connected devices. I would also like to have some control over whether
device names will be ellipsised (or how). Both of which are currently
not possible with GtkActions.