Re: Module Proposal: Rygel

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
>>  From reading description, it seems to me that Rygel would be better
>> suited as system service. Just like for example mt-daapd (which seem
>> to have the same purpose as Rygel but for DAAP). How does it fit GNOME?
> Absolutely correct point! Folks, when did you decided that GNOME is
> for PCs only ("personal computers", in the worst of all possible
> interpretations - computer for one single user)? That is ok for
> tablets, smartphones etc - but not for general purpose desktop.

  We didn't make any such decision, actually it's just the other way
around. See below.

> If some computer provides media collection through UPnP/DAAP, it
> should do it as a system-level service, just like mt-daapd (even
> though it can be flexible enough to accomodate per-user dirs, just
> like apache or smb).

   Just because others do it in a particular way, doesn't make it
right. Although Rygel can be run as a system-wide service, the main
target use-case is that of providing services per-user[1] so for
example each user can choose to share his media on the network rather
than every user's media. We want *each* user to have full control of
whether she wants UPnP services to be enabled or not and then which
services exactly she wants and what exactly she wants from it using a
simple preferences UI.

   Lets assume for a second that we want rygel to run as a
system-service, how does rygel then communicate to processes running
on session-bus (e.g tracker, rhythmbox, totem)?

   Lastly, rygel can be run as both system-wide service and
per-session at the same time on the same machine.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

[1] Currently it's actually per-session because of D-Bus limitation
but plan is to make it  per-user when it's possible.