Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

On 07/30/2010 12:13 AM, John Stowers wrote:
I have no objection to that. My problem is that in the space of one
minor release, *every* python plugin for a gtk application (e.g [1]) has
skipped this 'dying' phase and move straight to 'dead'. That is not a
nice backwards compatibility story for python developers.

I offer a third option. Plugins add 'pygtk.require(3.0)' [3] to their
code and libpeas support loading legacy plugins.

It's not as simple: you can't use pygtk and pygi at the same time in the same program. So you would have to choose between running pygi-based plugins or legacy pygtk ones. And those legacy plugins would require some changes anyway: Gedit.WindowActivatable is not the same as gedit.Plugin...

The only fix would be to allow running both at the same time, for instance by reimplementing pygtk as a compatibility layer over pygi, but then there would be no need for libpeas to support pygtk explicitely.

You suggest that you do not want to maintain def files any more. Fair
enough, but I suspect that the C-api between the minor releases of these
apps would be retained (as is expected of C-apis). If the C-api has been
retained then what is the maintenance burden of keeping the defs file
around which describe this API?

Actually, I don't want to *write* those, and especially the required overrides.