Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On 06/15/2010 03:05 AM, John Stowers wrote:
AFAIK (and please correct me if I am wrong), but the story is the same
for PyGtk; it builds against Gtk-2.0 and not 3.0.

  * What does this mean for Python apps and GNOME 3.0 / 2.31

The current plan seems to be that people should be transitioning away from pygtk to pygi. I guess people would love to see a similar gi# for mono bindings as well?

There is also the case of apps like Rhythmbox, Totem, Gedit, that
support PyGtk plugins

  * Will these apps lose plugin support this cycle?

I can't speak for all the listed apps, but gedit plans on using libpeas for plugin support in the gtk+-3-based branch, and use pygi. It also means breaking the compatibility with old plugins but otoh it's already broken for the switch to gtk+ 3

If for some reason the pygi state is not satisfying for the release, then it will still be possible to make a new release out of the gtk2 branch.