Re: New external dependencies for 2.32: telepathy-logger

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 16:01 +0100, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> Le vendredi 19 mars 2010 à 11:39 -0300, Jonh Wendell a écrit :
> > I know we have gains, but we also have cons, with the desktop full of
> > processes. Perhaps we should only activate the daemon when needed by
> > some application, and deactivate it when the application closes?
>
> That's almost already the case here. The tp-logger daemon is
> automatically launched when first conversation is started. It's
> currently not automatically stopped but I just talked to the tp-logger
> developers and they will consider stopping it after some time of
> inactivity.

The daemon could be shut down if there are no channels to log, I'm not
sure if it's worth it though.

Unused pages will be swapped out, and the daemon should remain quite
asleep as long as there is no Telepathy activity (it wakes up once an
hour to do some maintenance).

Plus, this functionality is already resident in Empathy, really we're
just moving the code to another place.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk