Re: Please ship changelogs in your tarballs

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> *if*, on the other hand, you want a ChangeLog because it makes your life
> as a packager easier (for some unknown reason) then you should probably
> ask for a Gnome Goal to add the autogeneration of the ChangeLog from the
> Git commit log to every GNOME project. the patch is trivial and I'm
> pretty sure it could also teach people a thing or two about auto-tools.

Instructions for adding ChangeLog generation when rolling tarballs are here:

http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog

Emmanuele, I like your interpretation of the GPL requirements.  I
would love to dump my useless and slow-to-generate ChangeLog if NEWS
is sufficient.  Would be great to get firm advice on this topic.

Sandy