Re: GTK3 parallel installable apps

On 2010-10-06 15:30, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Stef Walter <stefw gnome org> wrote:
>>
>>  a) Any version of the library compiled against GTK 2.0 can be installed
>>    in parallel with the one built for GTK 3.0.
>>
>>  b) The same version of the library compiled against GTK 2.0 can be
>>    installed in parallel with the one built for GTK 3.0.

Okay to summarize:

For gnome-keyring we'll go for parallel installable libraries, and
during the 2.91.x series make it work like option (a) above. Right now
we're a solid (b).

For seahorse and seahorse-plugins we won't do parallel at all, as
Matthias suggested.

libgnome-keyring doesn't touch GTK at all, so not an issue.

> The first question is - how many users of your GTK2-based library are
> there?  Can you get away with having all your users port to GTK3?  If
> so, just keep a maintenance branch around that ideally you never
> touch.

gnome-keyring is used by other desktops, so I imagine a GTK2 version
will be appreciated for the time being.

> But in general I'd say go for a).  Basically the target audience here
> is OS vendors, and they typically will have separate packages with
> different source snapshots (typically from the partly-binary
> "tarballs" that are still the primary artifact).  It's more painful
> for them to build twice from the same source tree.
>
> So while b) may seem more convenient, I think it's not worth the extra
> pain of simply forking entirely.

Roger. Thanks.

Stef