Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 17:21 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 13:38 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > System Platform
> > ===============
> >
> > The System Platform is the set of libraries or dbus services that are
> > used in GNOME, but are modules belonging to lower parts of the stack.
> > We
> > encourage their use for GNOME applications.
> >
> > This set might change over the years, and API/ABI stability is up to
> > the
> > respective developers. However, we will encourage them to guarantee
> > stability.
> >
> > Candidates for this set include: ConsoleKit, NetworkManager, Xorg,
> > avahi, bluez, cairo, dbus, geoclue, gudev, libxml, pulseaudio, udisks,
> > upower.
>
> How is this different to the existing "External Dependencies"? If it's
> just a name change then it doesn't seem worth doing or mentioning.

My understanding is that these are the technologies that
we actively encourage developers to use. The external
dependencies are then just those that we happen to use
internally.

This is actually really useful to those of us working on
developer documentation, and especially for me updating
the Platform Overview. If you're in the System Platform,
you're in the Overview.

--
Shaun