Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Ray/Robert:

On 10/22/10 12:17 AM, Ray Strode wrote:
(speaking as one of the 3 maintainers of GDM)

Speaking as another...

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Robert Ancell<robert ancell gmail com>  wrote:
- The GDM greeter is slow due to it loading the GNOME session, the
example GTK+ LightDM greeter is very lightweight (so is comparable to
the speed of the old GDM and newer display managers like LXDM).
Using GNOME session / g-s-d /etc  is one of GDMs main features.  The
point is for there to be consistent experience on the login screen and
in the session.
If GDM is too slow because of GNOME session then GNOME session needs
to be fixed, otherwise login after GDM will be too slow too.  Anyway,
if gnome-session is slow on your machine we should start by profiling
it and figuring out why.

I agree that GDM's deep integration with GNOME is one of its great
features.  GDM is clearly the login manager of choice if you want a very
consistent experience between the login manager and the GNOME desktop.
However, not everyone really needs or wants the degree of integration
that GDM provides with GNOME.

It should, I think, be possible to define a lighter degree of GNOME
integration for a display manager that intends to be a bit more desktop
neutral/agnostic than GDM, but still be a part of the "GNOME Desktop".

Think about Ephipany.  Users who really want tight GNOME integration
may prefer Epiphany, but some users may prefer other web browsers for
various reasons.

- All X server users have pretty much the same requirements beyond the
login GUI.  By using LightDM the development effort of maintaining the
display manager can be shared between projects (GNOME, KDE, LXDE,
XFCE).
So you're not proposing LightDM to become part of GNOME, you're just
proposing GDM get dropped and LightDM become an external dependency?

I thought the new release model was all about choice and flexibility.
I would think there should be room enough for choices.

Have you talked to the other projects about this?  We had some
discussions some time back with Oswald (KDE developer) about
standardizing on one display manager a few years ago:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2007-October/msg00013.html
(added him to cc list)

Wasn't that the same discussion where Oswald said that he would only
accept a standardized display manager if it didn't regress any current
KDM features and if we did all the work?  I believe Jon responded by
agreeing that he was willing to do it.  See here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2007-October/msg00014.html

Unfortunately, though, I do not think we have progressed much towards
these ends since then.

Anyway, I'm obviously in favor of keeping GDM in GNOME.

So am I, but I'd think there should be room for more than one display
manager choice in GNOME.

Brian