Re: IRC channels in gnome development

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 11:43 -0600, Paul Cutler wrote:
> You're asking to change the way things have been done for years -
> which isn't an argument to not do things that way, but just pointing
> it ou.
>
> However, the GNOME Design team has regular office hours in IRC where
> everyone is welcome to come and ask questions - I'm not a designer,
> but I don't know what more you can ask for if IRC is going to be used.
>  Development is not a democracy - and for those who are going to do
> get things done, discussion via IRC and its immediacy is a powerful
> tool.  I personally think asking IRC not to be used for "important"
> (which is relative) decisions is not realistic.

I do not think so.  In the past, decisions that were discussed on IRC
were informed by mail later or in bugzilla.  Just to keep everybody
interested in the loop and/or for archive purposes.

At some point, we stopped doing it and, IMVVHO, is a bad practice.  For
instance, it is quite hard to explain and defend a decision when you
only know the result (whether you personally agree or disagree).

Do not confuse democracy with awareness.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/