Re: IRC channels in gnome development

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier <cjac colliertech org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 18:37 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Howdy!

>> > done, done and done.

>> > You'll have to be more specific.

>> > http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-shell/today
>> > http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-design/today
>> > http://ilbot.colliertech.org/gnome-os/today

>> > Poke me if things go offline.  My web server isn't the most stable thing
>> > in the world.

>> > Let me know when you've got them and I'll post them in the same place.
>>
>> bebot has been logging for some time.  I'd prefer it if we have only
>> one mechanism in place.  We haven't had a chance to figure out what to
>> do with the logs (including where to post them, how to present them,
>> and how to search them).  Another issue is that I want to ensure that
>> it is well known that the channels are logged (I consider it impolite
>> to post logs from folks that don't know they are being logged) and
>> that we make some assurance that sensitive information doesn't
>> accidentally get published (at least until you can change that
>> password you accidentally typed into IRC).
>>
>> Would you mind disabling your bot until we do that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon
>
> From one of my fellow gimpnet IRC operators:
>
> 16:28 < CyBeR> cj: you should inform them that we (gimpnet) have no logging
>               service nor the intent to create one
> 16:28 < CyBeR> cj: and that open (as in, not +i or +k) channels should be
>               regarded as public
> 16:29 < CyBeR> and one should assume one's writings are logged and public when
>               conversing in one
>
> That said, I'll put on my GNOME Foundation member hat and say that I'm
> willing to help develop a logging facility for channels that the
> foundation considers part of the core infrastructure.

You would probably need multiple bots to fill the needs of the GNOME
community.  Gimpnet has a fairly low max join limit, iirc.

I'd definitely be interested in this.  One of the main reasons I run
irssi on my server is so that I have logs of channels that matter to
me.

BTW, combining this with an op bot like Rupert would be nice.

Sandy