Re: libpanel-applet-3 and gtk 2

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Frederic Crozat <fred crozat net> wrote:
>> 2011/2/9 Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:
>
>>> - make it a real application
>>
>> Which make the application undiscoverable by new users (I don't expect
>> them to know about keybinding)
>> and not easily activable with mouse only.
>
> If it has a .desktop file etc. then it's just as discoverable as the
> rest of the apps.

Right, that's the approach we've decided on for Tomboy.  We'll ship
the panel applet code (disabled by default) for distros that want to
keep using it, and the status icon will still be available as an
extension for users that want it, but in general it will act just like
any other app.

At Summit we discussed ways to replace the whole tray menu with
jumplists in gnome-shell, but as far as I know nobody (certainly not
me) has had time to implement that for 3.0.  Actually there was some
disagreement about how to show recent documents in such a list, so
although it would be cool to work on it for 3.2, there isn't a solid
plan in place yet afaik.

Sandy