Re: Enabling GConf-over-DBus in GNOME 3.2 jhbuild

On 20/07/2011 19:14, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So the DBus port of GConf landed recently and there haven't been any
> totally serious problems reported so far... would anyone object if I
> changed jhbuild to use --disable-orbit in the GNOME 3.2 suites?
>
> If that works out well I may well decide to change the default so you
> have to --enable-orbit otherwise DBus is the default, but that can be
> decided later.
>
> Ross

I've noticed one drawback of dbus over orbit. The dbus session does not
carry over into su or sudo while the gconf+orbit did worked. For some
programs I wanted to used as root it made a difference (namely meld).

While I don't suspect that there are many programs used in su/sudo that
uses gconf it might be good to note that the switch may break some
setups. Please threat this e-mail as information rather then
"vote"/voice against the move.

Regards