Re: On the Interaction with the design team

Hi Dave,

2011/6/6 Dave Neary <dneary gnome org>:
> Hi,
>
> Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>> can you please explain to me, in a short sentence, what do you want to
>> achieve? not how, but precisely what.
>
> I have said that already: I want to enable the design team to work
> productively with the entire GNOME development community.
>
> Right now a small number of designers are working effectively with a
> small number of developers, and I've observed increasing discontent
> among developers not on the inside.
>
>> Dave, Johannes: do you want to participate in the design decisions?
>
> No - I think that designers should be making design decisions, after
> collaborating with the developers affected.
>
>> do you want some history and/or accountability?
>
> Yes. But this is a side-effect, rather than a primary goal.
>
>> do you have *specific* issues related to you (sorry, no "the community
>> might feel" or "there have been rumors" or "people can misunderstand")?
>
> Yes. *I* was annoyed by the recent Deja Dup discussion, and felt that
> the developer got short-changed at the end of the day. I was very
> annoyed at the "systemd as external dependency" discussion, and the
> message that some people following along the "GNOME OS" meme sent to
> developers on other platforms. I feel that the current operation of the
> design team is hurting our relationship with Canonical, who also have
> designers who have, I believe, failed to influence design discussions in
> the same measure as the "core" members of the design team like Lapo,
> Allan, Jon. I think the lack of documentation of the core design team
> makes it harder for new designers to get involved. To sum it all up, I
> believe the current dynamic of the design team is doing damage to GNOME
> as a community.

Would you elaborate this? Adding some facts please?
Unfortunatelly IRC is the only tool which work fo us atm (since google
pulled wave which was nice), we're very open and responsive on the
channel, I listen to every suggestion I get and answer any question,
just hang on the channel and see. Also the repositories we are using
are open and everybody can participate. I respect and esteem Matthew
Paul Thomas which is the only canonical designer I ever interacted
with on the channel and I think I have zero issues with him, while I'd
like to see him more activelly involved. If the canonical designers
feel being pushed away in the design process they should just voice
their opinions on the channel as everybody else does, their opinions
and suggestion would be appreciated.
Anyway the canonical guys are on our channel all the time, why do I
learn from you we are hurting the relationship with canonical?

[SNIP]