Re: On the Interaction with the design team

Hi,

Xan Lopez wrote:
> I think what is really doing damage to the community is this kind of
> hyperbolic accusation around the design team that seems to be in vogue
> lately, to be honest.

My apologies.

This is very far from tone and target from when I first got involved in
this thread (and started this discussion). I just asked whether the
design team were considering a mailing list. I have been frustrated
because much of the reaction I have seen here & on IRC has given me the
impression that some key people just don't recognise there's a problem
or want to change.

One thing has been made clear, though - and I think Allan agrees with me
on this - there's confusion about who is in the design team, who speaks
for them, and what they do.

Among the many conflations that are happening, we have developers
talking as if they're speaking for the designers, we have members of the
design team saying things that are being interpreted as "design
decisions" when they're just personal opinions, we have release team
positions about Core & Apps which seem, on the surface, to be related to
design concerns like a unified user experience and deep integration with
the system, and we have no comon understanding (as you point out) of the
scope & authority of the design team.

I've been pushing for some change because I think that a lot of these
issues can be resolved by being very clear about the inner workings of
the design team, the developers working most closely with them, and the
power which has been bestowed on them by those developers.

Once again, I apologise for letting frustration get the better of me. I
know Allan is working on evolving the way the design team works to bring
some more transparency of operation, and I hope that this thread hasn't
made it harder for him to bring about positive change.

Dave.

--
Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member