Re: Using .tar.xz only on ftp.gnome.org (was: install-module / ftp.gnome.org / master.gnome.org)

Hello Olav,

What is the reasoning behind this move? Just storage savings? It seems
to me that it will actually be easier to request our sponsors
(RedHat/Novell/Oracle...) for more storage than pushing everyone into
the pain of having to deal with such unfamiliar format. We are
releasing .gz and .bz2 at the same time at the moment. Getting rid of
.gz would be reasonable, bz2 is supported everywhere for many years,
whereas .xz, well, is the first time I hear about it. We cannot assume
that the change won't have an impact just because most modern Linux
distros have packages to support the format.

I am not trying to criticise the effort rather than trying to
understand why is this such a big win.

Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz