Re: Using .tar.xz only on ftp.gnome.org (was: install-module / ftp.gnome.org / master.gnome.org)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:21, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
> Hello Olav,
>
> What is the reasoning behind this move? Just storage savings? It seems
> to me that it will actually be easier to request our sponsors
> (RedHat/Novell/Oracle...) for more storage than pushing everyone into
> the pain of having to deal with such unfamiliar format. We are
> releasing .gz and .bz2 at the same time at the moment. Getting rid of
> .gz would be reasonable, bz2 is supported everywhere for many years,
> whereas .xz, well, is the first time I hear about it. We cannot assume
> that the change won't have an impact just because most modern Linux
> distros have packages to support the format.
>
> I am not trying to criticise the effort rather than trying to
> understand why is this such a big win.

The explanation is in the following previous thread:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-March/msg00002.html

The problem is not storage, it is bandwidth.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://people.gnome.org/~gpoo/