Re: Using .tar.xz only on ftp.gnome.org (was: install-module / ftp.gnome.org / master.gnome.org)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Ghee Teo <ghee teo oracle com> wrote:
> On 21/03/2011 17:02, Sandy Armstrong wrote:

>>> Yes. We download them from ftp.gnome.org.
>>
>> By "we", do you mean end users or packagers?
>
> My "we" refers to users.
>>
>> Aren't only packagers (and distro build servers, etc) and advanced
>> users impacted by the change to .xz?
>
> No. packagers are the source codes providers.
> Users are the source code consumers.

I was assuming this model:

Maintainers are source code providers.  Packagers consume and produce
binary packages.  End-users consume those binaries and don't care
about how the packagers get the source code.

> GNOME requires both groups of users to exist meaningfully :)

Sure.  I guess I just didn't realize that Solaris end users were
consuming GNOME source tarballs.

Sandy