Re: GNOME 3.2 ideas and plans

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 17:51 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > It would be nice to have some level of integration with web applications
> > in the desktop. For instance, I would like to update my facebook status
> > or tweet easily via the user status menu in the shell. I would also like
> > facebook message notification with the message tray, and facebook chat
> > support.
> >
> > And I'm sure there are many other small integration points that may be
> > useful:
> > * Easily share pictures on flickr/facebook/etc
> > * Easily share links on facebook/etc
> > * Facebook as address book source
> >
> > It would also be cool if we had some set of web-services of our own that
> > we could integrate with, like:
> >
> > * Easy on-web filestore integrated with everything
> > * Syncing of preferences and bookmarks to my.gnome.org
>
> How much of this is a solved problem via
> libsocialweb & the status panel:
> http://gitorious.org/+meego-netbook-ux-team/meego-netbook-ux/meego-panel-status?page=16
> in the MeeGo Netbook UX, and/or

Yes, but we don't have a UI to configure those accounts. Just porting
bisho (as it's called) to be a control-center panel isn't enough. We
want this to be integrated with IM accounts, and possibly

>  the Me Menu:
> https://launchpad.net/indicator-me in Ubuntu? If there are concerns
> about things not being done the right way by these projects, perhaps
> their authors might be willing to address those concerns?

The extent of the me menu's social sites integration seems to be "launch
gwibber", which is far from enough for a desktop-wide integration.

The libraries and services to support integration of social sites exist,
we're missing the UIs...