Re: What are the current HIG? [Was: GNOME 3.2 ideas and plans]

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 17:10 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 23 March 2011 11:08, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> > > Software aside, we really need that new version of the HIG that we've
> > > been talking about (Calum has been taking this forward recently)!
> >
> > In related news, I have no idea what the HIG is supposed to be for
> > 3.0. Some control center panels have gray labels without the colon,
> > some have black labels with the colon.
>
> We don't specify different label colours by design, do we?
>
> The HIG specifies that labels should have colons [1]. Maybe that should
> change in the future, but I haven't heard about it.

We use a slightly grayed out text and no colons when there's a list of
information, arranged in a table, as can be seen in the Bluetooth
settings. This is so that the labels don't distract from the actual
content they label.

> > Some are right aligned, some
> > are left aligned.
>
> I'm not aware of there having been any changes there. Left alignment is
> the default. Right alignment can be nice, but sometimes doesn't play
> well with the demands of an interface (it doesn't work when you need to
> use indentation, for example). If in doubt, just left align like the HIG
> recommends.
>
> In general, the HIG can be followed just fine. Updates and changes are
> covered by the application integration guidelines [2] and by the
> (rudimentary!) GtkSwitch guidelines [3]. (It is fine to ignore switches
> for the time being. Just ask on #gnome-design if you're unsure.)
>
> But yes, it'll be much clearer once the new HIG is done!

Switches are useful for settings, and possibly applications that drive
devices, not for most applications anyway.