Re: GNOME 3.2 ideas and plans

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 15:07 +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
<snip>
> It would be excellent; "if you don't blog about it, it didn't happen",
> and it has been so true with the gnome-design repository, we need to
> publicize the designs and this will get new contributors on board, I
> am really fond of the GNOME Voice Recorder design by Hylke, he blogged
> about it[1], and two weeks later someone had started implementing it
> and posted on the gnome-multimedia.
>
>  [1] http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/gnome-voice-recorder/
>  [2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2010-August/msg00002.html
>
> But then it was not followed actively by existing contributors, and I
> fear this stopped the effort. And that brings your last paragraph,
> about the contributor experience,

You can blame Marc-Andre and myself here I guess. gnome-media was a
grab-bag of applications and infrastructure.

I think that this application would be better as a stand-alone module
for GNOME. And I'll reply straight away, and tick it off my TODO list :)

<snip>
> A direction is that Fedora has "features", Ubuntu has "blueprints",
> and we could do as well, thinking things up for the whole GNOME, not
> delimited by modules.
>
> A good example is our Sharing story, in the words of Matthias:
>
>   > - Sharing: We have rygel, and gnome-user-share, and vino but no
>   > finished design for how this is going to appear in a control-center
>   > panel
>
> So there's Bastien from gnome-user-share, Zeeshan from Rygel, Juan
> from Grilo... some initial design by Hylke (iirc), we should find a
> way to assemble persons and ideas, and get that created for 3.2.

We also have some designs from Jon, and Sebastien. I'll definitely be
looking into that for 3.2 though.

Cheers