Re: SoC idea: desktop file cache

Le jeudi 24 mars 2011, à 23:22 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> == Kill gnome-menus ==
>
> gnome-menus is the library which reads all this stuff presently, and
> it has one serious drawback:
>
> * It is entirely synchronous
>
> This especially hurts since we have to read applications from
> gnome-shell, which is the compositor - a blocked compositor means no
> redrawing.

[...]

> == Implementing a saner tool ==
>
> There are multiple ways to approach this, but I think by far the
> simplest is just an mmap'able file containing all .desktop files found
> in the desktop paths.  Don't try to implement all the merge logic,
> etc.

But we still want the merge logic to build menus. So it sounds to me
that what you want is to make gnome-menus use a mmaped file.

And we should also fix the other gnome-menus issues; I'm very much aware
of them and would also love them to disappear).

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.