Re: SoC idea: desktop file cache

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 10:17 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 mars 2011, à 21:52 +0000, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 03:11 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I was thinking that this is the kind of problem that has cross-desktop
> > > implications, and so I wondered how KDE solves this problem. We should
> > > probably take their feedback on this?
> > >
> > > On the other hand, I think there is a way to do this in a
> > > cross-desktop fashion with existing infrastructure as well.
> > >
> > > We already have `update-desktop-database` for updating the MimeType
> > > cache from desktop files, and that's supposed to be run after any new
> > > .desktop files are added to $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications, so I was
> > > wondering if caches for the other properties could also be generated
> > > by the same tool at the same time?
> >
> > I wouldn't want the code to live in update-desktop-database (which is in
> > shared-mime-info), but we can certainly add support for launching
> > scripts in a specific directory whenever it's called.
>
> It's actually in desktop-file-utils, not shared-mime-info :-)

Man, I get confused ;)

> Any reason you wouldn't want to add that to the utility? Or was it just
> that you thought it lived in shared-mime-info which shouldn't know about
> that kind of stuff?

I wouldn't want to have had to add support for it to shared-mime-info,
because that caching mechanism wasn't agreed upon xdg-wide, and there's
enough problems with that code as it is (the existing code isn't exactly
very forgiving).

Having it within update-desktop-database is probably a better idea (and
it's not my problem anymore :P)