Re: Using .tar.xz only on ftp.gnome.org (was: install-module / ftp.gnome.org / master.gnome.org)

On 19/03/11 12:25, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> On 19/03/11 11:19, Olav Vitters wrote:
>> As a pre-warning, could you please ask the ftp-masters again to support
>> .xz?
>
> They have included this item in their agenda for the meeting. I've told them
> that GNOME plans to switch to .xz soon and that not allowing that in Debian
> would mean we'd need to repackage upstream tarballs (which is bad).
>
> I'll let you know if/when they make any decisions.

The meeting is over, and their summary on this point is:

- For multiarch and XZ handling, we have asked for updates to python-apt
  in stable which will simplify adding these features.  Assuming that
  the SRMs accept the update which the apt team are helpfully preparing
  for us, we'll add these as soon as we can get the package updated on
  franck.

So I'd say .xz support will be in place in ~ 1 or 2 months. Definitely for GNOME
3.2, but hopefully way sooner.

Cheers,
Emilio