Re: Gnome Feature Request

Hi,

Please see comments inline.

2011/5/8 Erick Pérez <erick red gmail com>:

> [...]
>>> start looking as whole, like is already doing with the system settings
>>> trying to provide a niche for a bunch of somewhat different settings,
>>> and the way to provide that is centralizing communications and
>>> interactions, acting as a middle man between desktop apps.
>>>

>> Of course gnome desktop would be better if it had integration. It would be
>> excellent if everything "just worked", but like any other timely, shipped
>> system, there are warts. GNOME 3.0 certainly isn't as "integrated" as we
>> would have liked it to be, but we have a schedule, we have time constraints,
>> and we have manpower constraints. If we had infinite time to design and work
>> on GNOME, we'd all be staring at the perfect desktop environment: It would
>> literally be the most usable, most customizable, least crashy desktop
>> environment that ever existed. Everything would be *perfectly* integrated

>>> nobody's going to stop you.
>>> And this is just rude and useless.
>>>
>> I hope you see that I'm not trying to be rude.
> I didn't said you tried, I said you were rude. There's a different there.
>
>> I'm not taking time out of my
>> day to decypher what you mean by your emails, and cook up some mockups and
>> code for you to yay or nay.
> I never ask u or no one here to code/design anything for me, actually
> if u keep reading the list someone ask me already about my disposition
> to code/design and I said 'totally yes'.
> I'm programmer and I know perfectly how to build things, I'm proposing
> this here to find out what gnome people think about this, and if there
> would be anyone wanting to, do it together.
>
>> If you want to make the desktop better, you have to take the initiative and
>> lead the project. Provide mockups. Provide code. Again, there's a big
>> difference between "we need integration between apps" and "here's some
>> integration between apps"... guess which one is more appealing for people to
>> take shock at.
> Yeah, after the Unity incident when two groups of people working on
> improve Gnome couldn't get agree, I do think we first start
> negotiating and then coding. No ones want a second Unity jerking
> around, or at least I don't.
>
>> And if you want to lead the project, let it be known that it takes an
>> extraordinary amount of work: a proper leader should do the amount of work
>> of each person on the team, and then some managing the team to make sure
>> each part does their part.
> Again, even if u think I'm not, I do know what takes to manage a team.
> One thing it is necessary is the ability to hear/share/discuss someone
> thoughts without attacking it or mocking of his ideas, moreover if u
> can't solve the problem either.
>
> Finally, I do think this childish behavior is not getting anything
> useful for no-one of us. If the spirit of the Gnome Team, is: 'Bring
> some code/mockups, then we will judge' Ok.
> I'll do it myself. And then maybe, you find it interesting, or not.

Erick, AFAIK nobody is working on this kind of feature. Of course a
better integration between apps would be great. The main point is that
you have to invest some time designing/implementing and maybe have a
first example working so people can have a better idea of what you
have in mind. Also, the patches welcome/do it yourself culture is not
meant to be rude. It's just that people use their own free time to
code, and in almost every project is like that.  So people is just
saying that the Gnome proposals is not a wishlist. So the main point
is that you should just take the initiative and start
coding/designing. Of course you can share/ask questions (I really
believe that the dictionary integration should be done on a lower
level, like also the GtkSpell), engage with people working on
different stuff and probably/hopefully they will get along once they
know that you are committed. For this, it's way better to hang out in
irc.gimp.net (look for #gnome-hackers #gtk+ channels, for instance,
you can usually find me on channel #evince). Also, there was some
interest in defining a gtk wide spell infrastructure, which enters
into this kind of infrastructure, so it would be nice to know the
status of that.
I would start by defining the DBUS interfaces and how apps should
interact with them, etc.

Greets

José