Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 19:15, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:
> #3 -- I feel this "no-API for gnome-cc" approach crashes with planned
> and upcoming changes in GNOME Desktop modules definition

There is no GNOME Desktop module; we now have only core, platform and
bindings. What are you speaking of?

>, as well as
> with the idea of "GNOME as platform for everyone"

What is this and where was it proposed?

>. This proposal from
> Deja-Dup is a neat example. IMHO deja-dup is not suitable to be a "core"
> module (as per current definition of core: only stuff needed to start
> user session), but it's perfect as "approved by GNOME" module.

No, we do not have any such plans to approve or disapprove of modules.
If they are outside of core, platform or bindings, the only official
designation is that they might be featured in our marketing. That's
it. We do not bless modules any more.

> Also,
> IMHO the UI proposed changes to Deja-dup preferences are well designed
> for GNOME 3 experience (backup as a service, not as user launchable
> app). So, this seems to be a contradiction: we can't place you in core,
> but we don't want to provide the ability for a proper integration. Also,
> what about third parts, vendors and distros?

That's a technical problem, not political.

> For instance, Ubuntu
> provides a really useful Additional Drivers tool and I suppose the best
> place for it is System Settings > Hardware; same for Prey
> (http://preyproject.com/) and it's configuration panel. Are we going to
> make GNOME a closed desktop?

Again, technical.