Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On 11 May 2011 13:42, Mattias Eriksson <snaggen acc umu se> wrote:
> Include/exclude: I think Exclude is still relevant (include should default
> to all personal data), since I (and probably a lot of other users) download
> stuff from the Internet that are very temporary, it can be movies, software
> installers aso... on my Mac I have added and exclude rule for the download
> folder since that would just waste space on my backup-unit.

Just a note: Default include is $HOME, default excludes are Trash and
Downloads.  There are secret excludes for common cache directories
too.

> How long to keep backups: Forever or as long as there are storage left. I
> like the TimeCapsule version with a nice default algorithm that tries to
> keep as much as possible as long as possible.

The collapsing of older backups is tough with this backup format.
Duplicity does not assume it can run code on the backend, so it can't
really do a logarithmic collapsing of backups as they get older
(unless it downloaded, collapsed, uploaded).  I agree it would be a
nice feature though.

-mt