Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

Le mercredi 11 mai 2011 à 13:47 +0200, Michael Terry a écrit :
> > How long to keep backups: Forever or as long as there are storage left. I
> > like the TimeCapsule version with a nice default algorithm that tries to
> > keep as much as possible as long as possible.
>
> The collapsing of older backups is tough with this backup format.
> Duplicity does not assume it can run code on the backend, so it can't
> really do a logarithmic collapsing of backups as they get older
> (unless it downloaded, collapsed, uploaded).  I agree it would be a
> nice feature though.
Why not just ask the user when performing a new backup in case there's
not enough space left? Since DéjàDup already does full backups from time
to time, it could notice the user that in order to backup new data, s/he
needs to get rid of older versions until the date of a full backup
(chosen so that just enough data can be freed to make the new one).

That way, we can get rid of the somewhat scary setting "How long too
keep backups".

Cheers