Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Il giorno gio, 12/05/2011 alle 20.34 -0400, Matthias Clasen ha scritto:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:

> Some examples of this that we've already seen are:
> - color management (do you know what a perceptual rendering intent is ?)
> - kerberos tickets (would you know whether to request a proxiable or a
> forwardable ticket ?)

Good examples. Those features could be actually useful to someone, but
not eligible as a feature for all (desktop) users.

> When looking at it from the whole-desktop perspective, many of those
> options are typically better off in the special-purpose app than in
> the panel, while the few relevant options might better be located in
> another, already-existing panel. Figuring this out is hard, and
> involves talking to designers; it will only happen if we put a hurdle
> that forces people to do it.

Yes, but you (as user) are not forced to install all existing GNOME
related packages in your repositories, neither distros will install them
in your stead :)

Here in Italy we have an adage: "trow away the baby and dirty water
together"[1]. In order to avoid bad software (dirty water) we are
refusing good software (the baby) too. Personally I'm confident users
are able to choose what they need and what is good or bad.

[1] hint: this adage assumes the baby was placed inside a bowl with
water to take a bath.