Re: systemd as external dependency

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 01:10:02PM +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> The number of times I have been mocked and derided and laughed at on IRC
> is staggering. "That's not a real distro". "That's not maintained by
> real GNOME people". "Don't use that" "Switch distros!"

I see nothing wrong with the latter two:
 "Don't use that"
 "Switch distros!"

That is perfectly valid advice. You need various things in your
distribution to help GNOME development. I would not advise anyone to use
Ubuntu anymore when they want to get involved with GNOME.

Can you explain to me how using Ubuntu makes getting involved with GNOME development harder or wrong (couldn't extract that out of your msg)

GNOME should run on any distribution, but if a distribution has a big
focus and is known to be problematic to do development upon, advice on
that is a good thing.

We make it a problem where its not. We could harvest lots of talent from the Ubuntu community if we did not act like snobs and look down upon them.

The first 2 statements are not good though:
 "That's not a real distro"
 "That's not maintained by real GNOME people"

Though even the latter I could explain in a more 'assume mean well' way.

Hope that if you get bad behaviour, you do speak with those people
privately.
--
Regards,
Olav