Re: systemd as external dependency

Paul:

Sorry for top-posting, but I'm going to recommend if anyone wants to
talk about GNOME OS or platform changes to start a new thread.  While
related, this is a different issue than the systemd proposal as an
external dependency.

Agreed.  Since we are planning to discuss this anyway at the next
GNOME Foundation IRC meeting, could we focus on putting together an
agenda perhaps, on a different thread?

This systemd proposal does raise questions about how GDM should support
ConsoleKit versus systemd interfaces, but this is also a very separate
issue that is already being discussed in other threads on gdm-list and
the consolekit list.

I think one reason for all the noise is that the original proposal is
not fully specified.  There are significant changes to many diverse
modules listed as bullet items, the impact on ConsoleKit seems fuzzy,
and is concluded with:

  And I expect a couple of more interfacing points, however things get
  more and more into vaporware areas with those.

Overall, it seems sensible for GNOME to support systemd and I trust the
module maintainers to make the right decisions about how to support the
communities needs, including adding systemd support in a sensible way.

Where there are issues, lets discuss them, but in a more focused
manner.  If there is controversy in some areas, then perhaps we can
make progress by "blessing" those aspects of systemd integration that
are non-controversial and non-fuzzy first?

Brian