Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Dave Neary wrote:
> <snip>
>> Leaving aside "because that's the way it is" as a reason for a second,
>> what are the potential issues we'd have using Launchpad?
>>
>> * Bug reporters would have to have an easy way to report bugs against
>> Deja Dup through gnome.org
>> * GNOME developers would need to reassign bugs to deja dup which were
>> incorrectly assigned to another GNOME module
>> * Deja Dup developers would presumably want to do the same thing in the
>> other direction
>>
>> Are there others I'm missing?
> </snip>
>
> * A way to subscribe/CC GNOME contributors to Deja Dup bugs
> * Need to be able to target bugs at specific GNOME releases
> * The release team needs to be able to mark and track release critical
> bugs (important ones, blockers, etc). I gather that this is currently
> done by querying Bugzilla.
>
> The latter two are essential, I guess.
>
> We also have the fragmentation issue to think about: if Deja Dup uses
> LP, what's to say other modules can't use it too? Or Source Forge? Or
> Google Code? Or Trac installations...

If they were fully integrated into gnome.org bugzilla well enough that
the project was a first-class citizen, and integrated into gnome.org
git well enough that translators could work in their usual way ...
would there be any fragmentation problems?

I realise that the integration doesn't yet exist, but bzr <> git
mirroring is perfectly possible (Launchpad has done it in the other
direction for years) and synchronising two sets of bug data is hardly
advanced stuff. All we lack is someone with time on their hands :)