Re: GNOME Goal/Feature request: advanced mouse support

Sorry for delay in responding.

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 14:46 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 01:32:36PM +0200, Maciej Marcin Piechotka wrote:
> > I understand that it is large amount of work but would it be possible to
> > include this in long-term goals.
>
> Features require a developer. If you can think you can solve above or
> make it happen, then write a feature page for it.

The multibutton support can be rather relatively straightforward and I
guess could be even solved by gnome-shell plugin (however for ex. if Fx
supports it out-of-box on Linux so should epiphany) capturing and
re-emitting events in main X window. In case of ambiguity of mouse key
mapping it could be solved by some 'mouse profile' or something similar.

On the other hand the multitouch support probably should have in-gtk+
support and while standard gestures are, well, standard the more
advanced probably should involve design team. I don't think evdev is
doing gesture recognition so it needs to be implemented as well.

I am afraid that I don't have sufficient knowledge to solve this.

> Above seems like two different things though; e.g. multitouch is
> multiple devices, multi-button is better support for one device. Perhaps
> could be listed under one feature, but believe it requires different
> development?

Sorry - I am afraid I don't fully understand.

Regards