Re: Use of maintainer mode in GNOME modules

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 13:09 +0100, Javier Jardón wrote:
> So if Its not already fixed in your module, we are going to proced to
> fix all the GNOME modules that appear
> in "orange" and convert it to "yellow", ie
>
> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE -> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE([enable])

	Hi,
you didn't give much time for a discussion on this, and just made the
change. However, if I got it right, your proposed change is also
changing default behavior, thus people whom didn't pass
--enable-maintainer-mode into ./configure does have it enabled now.
Am I right?

It's not a problem if you have nothing tight to it (nothing else than
what is written in the desrt's blog), but what with projects which adds
more things to it, only used for module maintainers, like disabling
deprecated API, which really should be done for maintainers only,
because you never know against which version of glib/gtk/... your module
will be compiled (when your module "supports" also older APIs of them)?

Was this change done for jhbuild users only/mainly? Why not change the
jhbuild itself then? It is using development versions, thus it makes
sense to enable maintainer mode there - I think.

By the way, was the Makefile generation added to maintainer mode some
time recently? I noticed build issues after update for jhbuild users
only in couple last weeks, and it used to work fine for years, as far as
I can tell. And if this was added for speedup of compilation, wouldn't
it be better to fix libtool, to avoid relinking on "make install" phase
when there is done a linkage against module-added .la files? (It relinks
against $(libdir) in "make install", but during "make" it links against
$(topbuildir)/sub/folder/library.la, though for some cases it is able to
pick .la files from $(libdir) during "make" phase too, if they are there
- can be caused by a way of usage.)
	Bye,
	Milan