Re: Use of maintainer mode in GNOME modules

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 08:23 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 13:09 +0100, Javier Jardón wrote:
> > So if Its not already fixed in your module, we are going to proced to
> > fix all the GNOME modules that appear
> > in "orange" and convert it to "yellow", ie
> >
> > AM_MAINTAINER_MODE -> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE([enable])

	Hi again,
still no answer for this? You know, break things quickly and then do not
answer follow-up issues/concerns isn't much kind of you, somehow.

By the way, your change has a side-effect where DBus factories of
evolution-data-server (e-addressbook-factory and e-calendar-factory
processes) depend on gtk+ by default, because I did a change couple
weeks ago to do that *when compiled with the maintainer mode*, which is
the default after your change.

I still believe that this is not the right change being done, neither
properly discussed, and definitely not the best time to do, just before
the hard code freeze. Can you revert the mess and choose a correct fix
for your initial issue, please? My main concern is that you changed the
default behavior for projects, and that using --disable-maintainer-mode
is not the usual way of using it. Users use to ask to do more, than to
do less, especially with the maintainer mode, which adds special
processing and dependencies for maintainers, not for users.

As a possible gnome goal, would it make any sense to remove the
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro from all projects and replace it with their own
implementation of this --enable-maintainer-mode configure argument?

Though I'm still not certain whether not using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE at all
or using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE/AM_MAINTAINER_MODE([disable]) is equivalent.
I didn't get it from the gno.org doc [1].
	Bye and I'm looking forward for your replies in this thread,
	Milan

[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/automake/maintainer_002dmode.html