Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 10:31 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 23:43 +0200, Seif Lotfy wrote:
> >
> >         > Clocks: The clocks app is designed by the GNOME designers.
> >         It is still more
> >         > or less a prototype I am working on alongside Emily Gonyer.
> >         We wanted to
> >         > make use of Zeitgeist in storing "Alarms" as a type of
> >         "scheduled event", it
> >         > sounds like shoehorning but it is not. I am just hesitant
> >         because I myself
> >         > as a GNOME member do not want to use a technology or force
> >         integrate it
> >         > without GNOME agreeing of the usage of Zeitgeist.
> >

> >         It might help for you to elaborate why Zeitgeist is needed
> >         there.
> >         Clocks is intended to be a really simple application.
> >

> > We need to be able to store Alarms. And those alarms should still work
> > while the clocks application is closed. For that we need a central
> > storage for the scheduled event which is the alarm, to notify all
> > subscribers including Shell that an alarm went off. Same would go for
> > timers. What do you think?
>
> I think that somebody with a hammer sees every problem as a nail. You
> don't need to store alarms in Zeitgeist, you need to store the fact that
> the alarm went off in Zeitgeist.

why not store them in e-d-s? you can create a separate calendar,
disabled for viewing in the Evolution UI, which contains the events with
the alarms. Thus, you don't need to have anything other than the already
running evolution-alarm-notify process.

You can even, IIRC, set up the alarm so that it runs an application,
rather than showing the Evolution alarm dialog.

cheers