Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:54:30AM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> 2012/1/23 Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl>:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:14:32AM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> >> Why do you guys insist in making that a Canonical,Ubuntu issue?
> >
> > Only that distribution is affected by the functionality change right
> > (relying on API that atm is only provided by systemd)? All the other
> > distributions have systemd, so they didn't need to be made aware (though
> > we should've).
> >
> > Am I missing something? I guess Debian? Didn't see anyone raise that
> > up to now.
>
> Or maybe people aren't very happy of the tone of the discussion and
> don't want to be dragged into it (and that is why I didn't reply when
> openSUSE was mentioned).

Just let me know privately. I was focussing on improving release-team
bits and I don't like to think (or speak) about tone if I have
participated in the discussion.

Not good to hear though, I need to understand the openSUSE viewpoint as
well.

> This change is also problematic for people who might not be using the
> last version of their distribution or who have issue with systemd
> which aren't fixed yet and are forced to use sysvinit.

Mageia 2 will have an optional sysvinit (default is systemd). I don't
really see the problem for Mageia. In case of sysvinit, some minor stuff
might not work or might not work (perhaps daemons would still work under
sysvinit, don't care). For me, if you choose the fallback, don't expect
things to work perfectly.

Is this the openSUSE viewpoint?

--
Regards,