Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

Hi,

Le lundi 23 janvier 2012, à 13:02 +0100, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:54:30AM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > >
> > > Only that distribution is affected by the functionality change right
> > > (relying on API that atm is only provided by systemd)? All the other
> > > distributions have systemd, so they didn't need to be made aware (though
> > > we should've).
> > >
> > > Am I missing something? I guess Debian? Didn't see anyone raise that
> > > up to now.
> >
> > Or maybe people aren't very happy of the tone of the discussion and
> > don't want to be dragged into it (and that is why I didn't reply when
> > openSUSE was mentioned).

For reference, I feel the same. I originally wanted to reply to the
thread, but got distracted. When I came back to it, it was full of
negative comments, bad feelings, etc.

And I'm tired of the bad atmosphere on d-d-l.

FWIW, here's what I wanted to say at first: in openSUSE, we're not
affected as downstream, but as this mechanism could be considered as a
public API, I'd have preferred to learn about the change a bit earlier
to check it's all fine for us (and yes, I understand it's not always
possible).

With my upstream hat: I think we could keep this for one cycle and
mention somewhere in NEWS that it's deprecated and will disappear in the
next cycle. It doesn't cost us much to do that, and it's nice to our
downstreams.

[...]

> > This change is also problematic for people who might not be using the
> > last version of their distribution or who have issue with systemd
> > which aren't fixed yet and are forced to use sysvinit.
>
> Mageia 2 will have an optional sysvinit (default is systemd). I don't
> really see the problem for Mageia. In case of sysvinit, some minor stuff
> might not work or might not work (perhaps daemons would still work under
> sysvinit, don't care). For me, if you choose the fallback, don't expect
> things to work perfectly.
>
> Is this the openSUSE viewpoint?

This is similar to what we're doing for openSUSE. Still, I think it's
better to nicely handle the case where systemd is not what is being
used. It enables a smoother migration.

Another systemd-related change was already mentioned earlier: the
new --enable-systemd configure flag that removes ConsoleKit support when
it's used.  It cannot really be used for openSUSE (and Mageia, I'd say).
I want to thank Matthias for his extra effort of reworking the
gnome-session patch after my concern, though.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.