Re: Rotting patches [was: Re: Reviewed-By: and pastebins]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:00 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> One of my goals for 2012 is to increase the number of patches I'm
>> reviewing myself, and more generally, even further increase the
>> percentage of patches that go into GNOME that have peer review.
>
> Offtopic, but the obvious first step would be to improve the rate of
> reviewed patches in general.
>
> While peer reviews are great, **in some projects** teams miss manpower
> already to have reviews at all, without any peer.
> (And if you are a first-time contributor and you never receive feedback
> on your first patch you give up and won't know where to escalate. That's
> where GNOME's contributor base remains small.)
>
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=FOO provides a link at the
> right to the list of unreviewed patches for the project FOO.
> Two examples:
> * gtk+: 637 unreviewed patches; 480 of them older than 12 months
> * gnome-shell: 125 unreviewed; 61 of them older than 6 months

I try to comb through this list for gnome-shell often, looking for
ACN/ACAF patches I can push, or and looking through the none ones to
see if I can review them. Yes, a large majority of them are still
unreviewed, usually because I don't know the state of the patch, nor
if we want the feature in the first place.