Sharing widgets between GNOME 3 applications

The newly designed (or redesigned) GNOME 3 applications have some
common UI elements. For example, if you look at the following designs,
you will notice that the main toolbar, "selection" toolbar, main icon
view, etc. are quite similar: +
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Boxes +
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents +
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Photos

We may benefit from having a way to share these widgets among the
applications.  Currently, what I have been doing, for gnome-photos, is
to copy-paste the *.c/*.h files from the gnome-documents tree.

One downside of doing this is that the gnome-photos binary has some
dead code which will never be executed. For example the code path that
implements the "list view" for Documents, which is not necessary for
Photos. So all the classes implementing it need to be copied over into
the gnome-photos tree to avoid maintaining a fork of the GdMainView
widget.

Currently it is not so much of a practical problem, but I am curious
to know if people have better ideas about this.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

--
Give a man ssh access, he'll still need a computer. Give him a computer, he'll
give ssh access to you.  -- Ashish Shukla