Re: Some points about IM integration

Is there any reason that picking one input method framework is bad, if
we do it right? If the experience sucks and users have to switch to
another input method framework, yes, we've done it wrong, as Owen says
in the original email. But if it works pretty much out of the box for
all cases, what's wrong with tight integration?

We already have several hard requirements, out of practicality. GNOME
chose GTK+ as our main toolkit. GNOME chose PulseAudio as our main
sound server. We do this because we don't have the resources to
support Qt or EFL or Motif or Xaw. Nor do we have the resources to
support ESD or OSS.

I doubt we have the resources to support both IBus and FCITX, and
provide a good experience for both. Individual distributions may, but
that's their call, not GNOME's.

As for the "prove it with code" argument, it's not a data point until
it happens. When it happens, I may switch my opinion.