Re: GNOME goal for 3.8: Python 3 -- impact for pygobject itself

Matthias Clasen [2012-11-05  6:45 -0500]:
> For Fedora, we have a python3-gobject package.

Same for Debian/Ubuntu, our pygobject source package builds both
python-gi (for py 2) and python3-gi, and they are co-installable.

> I think what the goal page is missing is some advice on how to
> concretely do the porting.
> Is it enough to export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 and check that everything works ?

$PYTHON is not really a standard in any way, it needs to be explicitly
supported by the project you are running. It works for some libraries,
but I wouldn't expect it to work for any application.

> Should we replace python by python3 in shebang lines ?

Right, that's usually how applications are started. Directly with a
shebang, or through a thin shell script wrapper which calls "python
/usr/share/whatever/foo.py".

Martin