Re: 3.8 "feature": Drop or Fix Fallback Mode

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 23:14 -0400, Jens Petersen wrote:
> I think many other people are still using alternative window managers
> (eg XMonad, etc) that only work with fallback mode.

The main reason for the existence of fallback mode were and are graphics
hardware limitations, not components outside of GNOME like other window
managers.
Also see https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/WhatWeRelease .

> If fallback works and is not much of a maintenance burden when why not
> keep it around a bit longer?

It *is* a maintenance burden, that's why we discuss its future. :)

> I actually kind of wish the Mate developers had picked up gnome3
> fallback mode rather than gnome2 since it seems a lot better to me:

Offtopic, anyway: I wished the Mate developers had reached out to GNOME
and had started to discuss a potential takeover of 2.x branches
maintenance instead of making me feel as if they wanted to fork for the
sake of forking.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net