Re: AppData proposal

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 12:25 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
Hi all,

I've written up a specification that I would like to get feedback on.
It's had a few iterations now, and soon I'd like to propose a GNOME
Goal on adding the required files to at least all the apps in our core
moduleset.

I think it'd really help a lot if we had a model where we figure out how
to generate some of it from a canonical source.  For example, if we're
now going to say that AppData is canonical, we should generate
the .desktop file content from that.

Having a Makefile fragment to do this would help adoption a lot.  For
example we'd still have to have .desktop.in with
the Exec= line, or we add Exec= to AppData and entirely
generate .desktop from it?