Re: AppData proposal

On 21 August 2013 15:21, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
That's why itstool uses ITS.
<its:rules
  xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its";
  version="1.0">
  <its:translateRule translate="no" selector="/application"/>
  <its:translateRule translate="yes"
    selector="/application/name | /application/summary |
              /application/description"/>
</its:rules>

So where does that ITS snippet live? On each project or somewhere central?

Here's the rub: When you have an element that can occur multiple times,
it becomes difficult to reliably figure out which ones to show.

Agreed.

You first have to figure out which are the source elements, then which
translated elements correspond to which source elements. It's just very
unpleasant to deal with repeated translated elements when they're used
in a document-like markup, as opposed to an informational markup.

Dude, you outclass me completely when talking about XML stuff, so I'm
really open for your input. It sounds like what you'd like is:

* An untranslated .xml.in file
* itstool with the snippet used for translations

Any help welcome on what I should put in the specification document. Thanks.

Richard