Re: Updates from the GNOME Sysadmin Team: New Mirroring service, Owncloud 6

2013/12/12 Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a. Dimstar <dimstar opensuse org>
There might be something not entirely setup yet. Looking at this I get 11 Mirrors as option, but all of them returned with the same Prio (100)

looking at for example http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/iso/openSUSE-13.1-Addon-NonOss-BiArch-i586-x86_64.iso.mirrorlist (also based on MirrorBrain) the provided mirrors are clearly differently prioritized.

Might be worthy to have a look at this.

Thanks for noticing Dominique, mirrors priorities (Prio) should be actually tweaked when, for example, a specific mirror (it being on the same country of the user requesting the file) has more bandwidth or reliability than another and we might want to prefer a redirect to that specific mirror which has more chances to serve the file in the fastest way as possible. That said given I didn't yet have time to investigate the provided bandwidth for each of the mirrors we use, keeping Prio at 100 for each of the mirrors will actually result in MirrorBrain randomly selecting one of the closest mirrors to your area even if that specific mirror has a lower bandwidth than another one close to you. We might want to tweak this parameter a bit as soon as I find the time to get more stats about what our mirrors are providing in terms of bandwidth speed.

Thanks again for reporting and have an awesome day! (/me added a note accordingly)

--
Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,