Re: Application menus

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 02:52 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
wrote:
        On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 15:05 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

        > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:01:24AM +0200, Bastien Nocera
        wrote:
        > > On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 08:45 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've been using GNOME all that time and I'd never
        noticed them.

        > > > This is the one in the top panel which, with
        focus-follows-mouse,

        > > Which is exactly one of the reasons why
        focus-follows-mouse isn't an
        > > option we offer/isn't supported. There's probably plenty
        more things
        > > that don't work well with focus-follows-mouse, so finding
        creative
        > > solutions to those problems might be required.
        >
        >   This seems backward. F-f-m was here first,

        Was where first? In GNOME? In metacity? In Unix desktops? In
        Xerox Parc?

        >  and is still being used by some
        > minority (me included).  Current designs break f-f-m
        functionality.  Your comment
        > about ”finding creative solutions” sounds like F-f-m was
        something new.

        It's not something new, it's something unsupported.

        >   Designs were made in total ignorance of f-f-m.

        Because it's unsupported.

As someone who works on mutter and gnome-shell, I'm curious: since
when is it unsupported? I've never heard anybody say this before.

It's not the default, it's not togglable in System Settings, and it's
not been designed for. That makes it unsupported.

        >   The requirement should be
        > restated as ”finding creative solutions for things that used
        to work”, i.e. things
        > that were already working, were ”solved”.

  Jasper