Re: VJOURNAL (Re: GNOME Calendar app and tasks)

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 12:32 +0200, Pierre-Yves Luyten wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:32:26 -0500, Erick Pérez Castellanos
<erickpc gnome org> wrote:

Just curious - is there a plan to integrate tasks in future Calendar
app?
 https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Calendar [1]

Right now I'm a little short of time. But I'll keep working on it.

Hi!

here is a ping request for comments if any:

* Contacts has already a super cool implementation
* Calendar has too =) , and shall integrate tasks.

=> Remaining one : memos, ie,  VJOURNAL. Not sure anyone on earth use
it...
Do you think VJOURNAL is for gnome-calendar? since it has start date /
end date?

Or rather for Notes application? since its notes (this one is my POV,
but not a strong opinion)... In such case I'll look for implementing
this on my side.

VJOURNAL spec was designed with plain text (without any format) in mind
for the description of the journal entry/note. That's a big drawback,
and even though you can in theory add formatted text (like Tomboy's
pseudo HTML/XML), it will break cooperation with other VJOURNAL
software, as they will be unable to display the formatted text. Not sure
if you are really seeking that, but it's important to have it in mind.

On the other hand, supporting VJOURNAL for notes gives you instant
access to every calendar/tasks backend supported in e-d-s, as the
protocol/format/etc is the same as for calendars and tasks.

cheers