Why gedit is considered "third-party" (was: The name of applications on GNOME 3.7.92 testing image)

I was a bit surprised to know that gedit is considered "third-party".

So I'd like to know:

* Is gedit contradict GNOME's core experience and/or pattern? Is such
issue fixable?
* Is there gedit alternative proposed? If there is one, can anyone give a link?

I will be unhappy if the gedit alternative, if exists, highly resemble
those poor text editors found in proprietary OS. (Notepad is poor and
TextEdit is no better than Notepad, IMHO.)